The Ghent Institute for Classical Studies (GIKS) gathers all the scholars working on Classical Antiquity at Ghent University. Its members are drawn from the departments of archaeology, literature, linguistics, history of law, philosophy and history, and their expertise covers the Greek and Roman world in all its aspects from its beginnings to its reception in the contemporary Greek world.
Its aim is to:
- facilitate collaboration between members of staff
- organize research seminars and conferences
- provide a platform for PhD students by organizing specialized courses
- coordinate the various programs of studies
- inform the wider world of the research conducted in Ghent
- circulate information about Classics to its members