The Inside Story: Art, Interior and Architecture 1750-1950 (ThIS) investigates art as related to architecture and the interior, between c.1750 and 1950. It is an interdisciplinary research team, initiated in 2016, between Ghent University and Vrije Universiteit Brussel, with members from the Art History and Architectural Engineering departments. ThIS considers the place and role of art within architecture and the interior, the history of interiors, and the decorative arts. Starting from artworks, material objects, visual and textual sources, and inspired by the challenges of present-day living and the possibilities of digital technologies, ThIS studies underexposed art and historic interiors with an eye for heritage policy and for gender issues.
ThIS focuses on Belgium in an international context, as there is still a great deal of research potential, and many artists, artworks and historic interiors from the period 1750-1950 are still underexposed and often vulnerable. Through knowledge and expertise exchange, impetus can be given to better protection and preservation of this heritage. Annually, ThIS organises a colloquium on historic interiors and design in Ghent (Studiedag Historisch Interieur en Design), bringing together heritage professionals and scholars from various disciplines and institutions. Regularly, ThIS also co-organized/s international conferences, a.o. in collaboration with the European Society of Nineteenth-Century Art (ESNA).
Keywords: art, architecture, interior design, historic interiors, design, applied arts, long 19th century, 18th century, interwar period, gender, space
ThIS focusses on the following topics:
Fine arts and/in historic interiors & architecture
- Fine arts in/and architecture, e.g.: ornamental sculpture; monumental painting; monumental sculpture;...
- Artists’ studios and homes, studio practices, actual living conditions, impact of the private on the public lives of artists
- The (artistic) representation and material culture of historic interiors
- The (aesthetic) presentation of art in the interior (public-private); art collections; art salons
Decorative arts & design, arts & the decorative
- The (artistic/aesthetic) decoration of the interior
- Sculpture, painting and the decorative; the decorative arts at exhibitions; art, craft and technology/industry;
- Interiors, decorative arts, and gender;
- Textile and fashion history; fashion & architecture